Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Kiley's First Christmas

I admit that it was better than any other Christmas we've had before simply because Kiley was here, but it was kind of a let down. "Baby's First Christmas" sounds much more exciting than it actually is. I knew she was too young to care about what presents she got so I didn't put too much thought or effort into them, but it was still a little bit of let down to have no excitement whatsoever and instead of her waking us up, we had to wake her up and she did not care what day it was, she wanted to sleep! It probably didn't help that Chad was the one helping her open presents while I was photographer.  Chad can not for the life of him pretend to get excited about baby gifts and therefore tore through all of Kiley's presents in about 5 minutes without giving Kiley any time to explore them. The funny thing is that now that she has had some time with all her gifts her favorite gift from us seems to be the sippy cups we got her even though she doesn't quite have the coordintation to hold them to her mouth yet. She started making the funniest noises when Chad was cleaning them up yesterday and kept grabbing at them and wouldn't let them out of her death grip.
The rest of the holiday was wonderful as it is every year, spending lots and lots of time with all of Chad's family. Christmas Eve is spent at Chad's Aunt Sharon's house with all of his mom's side of the family eating a yummy brunch, then Christmas Eve Mass which I have to admit was one of the best sermons I think I have ever heard. I left feeling revived and happy, just how church should be. After mass we go to Chad's Grandparents house and do a seafood dinner with his grandparents, and local family members. Now I'm not normally a seafood person but I was impressed with this crab. We then went home and Kiley got to listen to Grandpa Dave read her The Night Before Christmas on one of those recordable story books. She loved it, but I probably loved it more. After waking up early and opening our presents at home we go over to Chad's parents house for breakfast and presents with Chad's parents, and sister's family. This year Jenna's in-laws came as well. Then we go back over to Chad's grandparents house where his extended family from Spokane comes in the afternoon and we have a big yummy family dinner again. This year was even more fun because on Sunday we went back for a third day in a row to celebrate his Aunt Nancy's 50th birthday (who now shares a birthday with my cousin Anne's new baby boy Cody Michael. YAY babies!)
By the third day I could tell the run around was starting to wear on Kiley but like the trooper she is she kept smiling and laughing at anyone who would give her attention. I'm not sure if all babies at this age are so adaptable but I am amazed at how well she did with so much stimulation and so little sleep. Even Chad and I were exhausted. At one point I contemplated skipping one of the activities just so I could take a breather but I had to check myself. If I ever get to the point where I think these traditions are just too much, I want someone to slap me. Christmas time is about spending quality time with the people you love and it's only so often you get to do so. We only see them a few times a year and you never know when you won't see them anymore. We are all getting older and things happen and one of these years there will be less people at the holidays. It's not fun to think about but I think it's important to remember to take the time to spend with your family while you have it. And half of the family (my half) I still don't get to see during Christmas weekend, which sucks but honestly I don't know how we would fit it all in! We wouldn't be able to spend the time we would want to spend with everyone. Luckily this year my mom and her husband are coming for a couple days over New Years. I am so excited to see my mom and for her to see Kiley and Kiley to spend time with her. I just love this time of year, I love our families, I love indulging in delicious food, and most of all I love the beautiful gift I got this year. She might not have been a Christmas gift but she is the gift that keeps giving the whole year through!

No comments:

Post a Comment