Monday, October 25, 2010

Such a good traveler!

In the last couple weeks we have really made up for not getting out much this summer. In early October we took a family trip down to Boise to go visit friends Scott and Jen, who are also expecting a little girl in February, for Scott's 30th birthday. Boise is about a five hour drive so we were sort of planning a couple of stops each way and probably more like 6-7 hours on the road. We ended up only being on the road about 5.5 each way and Kiley slept pretty much the whole way only waking up to be fed one time. I was also a little nervous about how she would be down there with her schedule being thrown off, but she did way better than expected. She didn't sleep as much, due to all the new exciting stuff to see but didn't fuss really at all, and I think kind of boosted Scott and Jen's confidence in having a baby girl. : ) It was a great trip and we are hoping to get down there more often.
Then last week I finally got to go down to Reno for a much needed trip, as I hadn't been back since January and even then I was only there for a day. I was able to take Kiley with me as she was free to take on the plane as long as I held her on my lap, but Chad unfortunately decided to stay at home. After the medical bills started coming in, we realized an extra $400 dollars for plane fare was just out of the question right now. We flew out of Lewiston and picked the shortest flight to Reno through Salt Lake so we were only actually traveling for about 4 hours, a time I knew she could do after doing so well driving to Boise. Both planes down to Reno I was seated next to men, who gave me the "oh no" look when I came walking up baby in arms. But I promised them that she doesn't cry very much and Kiley didn't let me down. She was an angel and I had several people getting off the plane comment on how well behaved she was.
We had a great time. I was so happy that Kiley got to meet so much of her families. Of course she already met her Grandma Susan (Nonni), Great Grandma (Bubie) and Brian, and Grandpa Dave, but now she has met her Uncle Tim, Step Grandpa (Poppa),  a few second cousins Ryan and Jennifer, Gage and Aiden, first cousins once removed James, Diane, Lars, Anne and Ashley and soon-to-be born second cousins Cody and Molly, and Great Aunt and Uncles Darcie, Mason, and Craig. Then she also got to meet her Aunties Kayci, Nicole, Peri and Lyndsey, and missed meeting her Auntie Sarah with her bun in the oven but I was lucky enough to spend a few minutes with Auntie Sarah who was going through a very rough time. I kept thinking how lucky Kiley is to have so much wonderful family and especially Aunties who came from Vegas and California just to meet her. She is so loved and although she might not get to see this side of her family as much as her dad's side of the family I was sure to take pictures for her to know that she has lots of other family that care about her too.
Coming back was a bit of a challenge as the plane to leave Reno was having mechanical difficulties from it's previous destination and was delayed which meant that we would miss our connecting flight in Salt Lake and that was the last flight of the day going into Lewiston. So we ended up staying in Reno an extra night and had to wake up at 3:30 am to make our flight the next day. It was a little harder on Kiley flying at that time and it didn't help that it must have been grumpy Tuesday and everyone we dealt with was in an awful unhelpful mood, but we made it and she still did better than I originally expected.
Then to top off this month of traveling we went to the Idaho homecoming game in Moscow this weekend. Again she did really good. She was a little fussier than she has been but even in the noisy game she got used to it pretty quickly and seemed to be enjoying herself. We kept getting comments on her, how she was the cutest Vandal they have ever seen, complete with Idaho shirt, vandal socks and gold flower headband. We paid a lot for this outfit so I'm happy so many people made comments, makes it all worth it: )
We might take a break next weekend, it seems like all this excitement has shaken up her routine and she hasn't been sleeping well since we got back from Reno. Hopefully she will be good for our next trip. On November 6, we will go up to Moscow for another game. The Nevada v. Idaho game. Chad and I still haven't decided what colors she will be dressed in.
I will be posting pictures from our travels soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment