Tomorrow I get to meet my baby.
By last week we had officially given up all hopes on this baby coming out on her own and succumbed to the idea that we are going to have to force her out. Meaning on Monday August 9 at 6 in the morning we would mosey on in to the hospital and begin an induction by means of Pitocin. While I am bummed that we won't be doing this as naturally as we wanted I am SO excited that the end is in sight and hopeful everything else will go smoothly. Having to be induced does carry with it a higher risk of cesarian section and women are much less likely to do without an epidural. I keep trying to think of labor like a marathon and mental preparedness is 80% of the game. I'm already going to have to be hooked up to antibiotics, Pitocin, fluids, and monitors, I really don't need to have another needle in my back (and not to mention the cathater I would have to sport as well). So keep your fingers crossed for me!
Friday we had our last non-stress test and doctors appointment, which we never thought we would even make it to. The non-stress test was good although there were a couple times when baby's heart rate dropped real low for about 10 seconds, what they call a variable, most likely cause by her turning over and clamping her cord or it cutting off her circulation somewhere (I love having my mommy nurse here to explain this to me) and on top of that she wasn't doing a whole lot of moving so they kept me there for over an hour which is the longest I've ever had to be there. I figured since I was there I might as well ask, and talked to the nurse about inducing. She said she would call my doctor and see what she thought. Here's the problem though, my doctor is on vacation, so she has another nurse who was available call my substitute doctor who doesn't even know who I am and half way through the conversation the nurse figured out that I am a patient of another doctor, gets confused and hangs up. So they tell me to just go ahead and go to my appointment and speak with her there.
We hurry over to the substitute doctors office and talk to her about inducing now rather than later and she thought it better if we wait until Monday when we were already scheduled mainly due to just being politically correct and not stealing the induction from our original doctor. Which is what I figured she would say anyways. So she does all the checks, heart rate good, fundal height good, and cervical check. I AM STILL ONLY DIALATED A 1/2 CM!!!!! This is unbelievable to me! At almost 2 weeks overdue my cervix is not even really ripe enough for induction. They will induce at 42 weeks regardless but they might have to put a ripening agent on it first. There are several things that have to happen that determine whether a woman will have a successful vaginal delivery and if she should be induced called a Bishop's Score (again I love having my mommy here to explain this stuff to me.) Because my cervix hasn't dialated and the consistency is still firm I do not have a very good Bishop's score. I think Chad was even more disappointed than I was. He said he heard "1/2 cm dialated" and didn't hear anything else.
Although I was disappointed to hear I still haven't progressed, I am actually not too sad about the extra waiting. We've been waiting this long for her what is 2 more days. Plus the 9th would be a pretty neat birthday 8-9-10. Easy to remember: )
On a not so fun note, Friday night our air conditioner decided to give up on us. GREAT! 2 days before we have a baby and no way to keep her comfortable in the hot summer. We will get it fixed shortly but as for me, I am miserable. 14 days overdue and sitting in an 80 degree house. Really makes me look forward to being in the hospital, for nothing else besides the air conditioning.
Here is my last belly picture-42 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment