I've always liked these shows even before I was pregnant, I think because my mom is a labor and delivery nurse so I've always been intrigued by pregnancy and what my mom deals with every day. Now that I am pregnant I keep getting told don't watch those shows or don't watch sad movies about babies, because I will get overly emotional or scared due to my hormones. I can't not watch them. I want to see what other pregnant women go through and usually it makes me feel better that some women don't realize they are pregnant and never get prenatal care or never take vitamins or they drink and still have perfectly healthy babies, or some women go through horribly traumatic events like getting hit by a car or falling through a second story railing and impaling themselves with a microphone stand, and their babies are born healthy and happy. It makes me feel like I am doing a really good job taking care of myself and I feel better about the morning sickness I've had cause it could be a lot worse.
I was watching a show earlier this week about women who have bad accidents when they are close to their delivery date and I felt a little silly about something that happened earlier this week. I was walking Shadow (our 75 lbs, 2 year old yellow lab pup) and I took a little tumble. A little background on our dog: up until last summer we had never walked him on a leash. The only time he ever went on walks was up at the cabin in Coeur d'Alene where he never needed a leash. He now thinks that the leash is just a game of tug of war. I started walking him because he needed to lose weight and he needed to learn the rules of the leash, and if I didn't he would get fat and be really sad because I am the only one that walks him. So, as I was saying I was walking/playing tug of war with Shadow and he decided he wanted to explore a bush across the street while I was standing on some loose gravel. I came down pretty hard on my knees and wrists and aside from having sore knees I was having some cramping, although I had been having light cramps for a few days. I was a little worried but luckily our doctors appointment was the next day so after talking to my mom the nurse I figured as long as I wasn't bleeding I would just talk to the nurse practitioner at my appointment Monday.
At the appointment we let the nurse know and she said she thought I was fine and we would listen to the heart beat and that would reassure us. So she puts the magic wand on my belly and immediately we hear the heart beat. My heart beat. She keeps moving it around and nothing, except I'm pretty sure my heart started beating faster. Then finally she thinks she found it and it disappears. It took several minutes and she finally found it. 146-150 bpm. I was pretty relieved.
A few days later I was watching one of those pregnancy shows on TLC. The story on the show I was watching was about a woman who was 5 months pregnant and went for a walk and ended up being chased by a bear, she ran until she got to a busy road where she was hit by a car. The baby was born a few months later perfectly fine and almost 9 lbs. Now I know that sometimes in accidents like that babies aren't so lucky and it is risky but I felt pretty silly about worrying about my minor fall earlier in the week.
Everything else at the appointment went perfectly. I've gained a total of 6 lbs, my blood pressure was great, the nurse said everything was perfect. At our next appointment, we will be 20 weeks along and that means we will be able to schedule our ultrasound to find out the sex of our little one!
No comments:
Post a Comment